If you suspect that your personal information has been lost or stolen to commit fraud or theft, Sterling National Bank is here to help.
- Immediately file a police report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place. Get a copy of the report, or at least its number, in case you need to show proof of the crime.
- Call our Client Services professionals at 855-SNB-7500 (855-762-7500). Our representatives are here to give you the support you need.
- Contact the fraud departments at each of the three major credit bureaus.
- Close any accounts that have been tampered with, or opened fraudulently. While our professionals will assist you with your Sterling National Bank accounts, you should also contact, in writing, the security or fraud department of institutions at which you maintain credit or bank accounts.
- Equifax – 1-800-525-6285
- Experian – 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion – 1-800-680-7289
Contact the FTC's Identity Theft Hotline:
- By phone 1-877-IDTHEFT (438-4338)
- Online at www.consumer.gov/idtheft
- By mail at: Identity Theft Clearinghouse
Federal Trade Commission
600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20580
Remember to keep records of everything involved in your efforts to clear up the fraud, including copies of written correspondence and records of telephone calls.